Friday, June 27, 2008

I love my house

When I first saw this house I was in love. The builder was Taylor Woodrow. This house is about 2500 sq ft. We have 5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms and a family room upstairs. There is enough space for everyone. We all have a place of our own. A place we can go to when we just need some time to ourselves. Todd thinks it's to big but I think it's just right.
We have owned 3 houses. Our first house was 783 sq ft. It was like being in an apartment. It was perfect for us at the time. We were just married and didn't have any kids. Todd was in law school and I was the only one working full time. After we sold that house we moved to Lake Havasu for a year. The house we rented there was only one year old. It was nice and clean. Perfect for a family with a new born.
After we left Lake Havasu we moved to Cottonwood. Nasty...Nasty....Nasty. There wasn't a clean rental to be found in the whole town. I was so upset. I wasn't sure what we were going to do. We did find an apartment complex that was about 2 years old. We decided to move into the apartment and continue to search for a house that we were not afraid to walk around barefoot in. We stayed in the apartment for 9 months. We finally settled on a house to rent. It was old and funky but the cleanest thing we had seen since we got to town. We stayed there for 18 months.
When we came back to the valley we moved to Surprise. We were surprise how much the town had grown when we moved back. We bought a 3 bedroom 2 bath house. It was a good floor plan but we really needed a family room. We stayed there for 2 years. We sold when the market was just starting to boom. We sold for 70,000 more than we paid two years prior. It was like hitting the lottery. We were able to buy a bigger house and pay off all our debt. We even had some left over to do the back yard and get some new furniture.
I still love this house as much as the first day I saw it. It was fun to watch it be built. Our old house was only a mile away. That allowed us to drive by all the time and watch the progress. We would even ride our bikes over and watch the construction workers. Now the only thing we need is a pool. We are hoping to build one next spring. This is the place that I see myself in for a long time. Or at least until I get old and cant make it up the stairs any more.
I loved painting and decorating the inside of the house. It's so fun to make it your own. I am a very cheap and thrifty bargain hunter. Many of my things were bought on sale or clearance. Some things were bought at antique stores. I also got a lot of my knick knacks (or junk as Todd calls it) at Goodwill. I like to buy a piece of furniture and redo it. It's amazing what a little paint and sanding can do. When it's all done you have something that you love even more because of all the hard work you put into it. Plus it's cheaper than buying new.
August will be three years that we have been in this house. I have been getting the urge to change a few things. That's why we redid Tyler's room and I made a scrapbook room. I think once I add some color to my master I will be satisfied. I don't know. Anyways below are some pics of the house . If you have some pics of your house post them on your blogg. I love to see what other people have done in their houses.

This is our family room upstairs. We are huge Disney fans so we decided because this is the room where we spend most of our time it should be decorated so the whole family would enjoy it.





























This is the downstairs. Its one big room Behind the kitchen is another bedroom. We turned it into a poker / exercise room.

























































This is our guest room / office.













This is the master bedroom and bathroom. The bedroom is the next room that will be getting a new color. The furniture just gets lost against that tan wall.














Our back yard. Don't you think a pool would look great?
















The upstairs bathroom. Disney of course




















My new favorite room. This is my scrapbook room I am thinking of painting my master these colors.





















Tyler's room












Our front porch.

4 comments:

Susie said...

What a beautiful home! I love the colors and how you've decorated! I'll have to post some of mine later.

Stacey said...

My Mom and Dad have the exact same patio set on their front porch. I love the colors, you did an amazing job. I'll have to see if I'm brave enough to post pictures of mine :o)

Kassie said...

wok.. so I love your house... you can just turn the guest bedroom into my room. :-)

Candy Bello said...

beautiful paint colors! I really like your office/craft room

:)
candy