Friday, June 13, 2008

A space of my own.....

In 1997 Shawnette introduced me to scrapbooking. She was a stay at home mom and was selling Creative Memories. I was never one for pictures. I think because growing up my mother never took photos of us. I have about 10 childhood photos. When she asked me to come to her "party" I went because she was my best friend and I wanted to be supportive. Heck I even bought a couple things. The more I looked at the stuff the more I liked the idea of making your memories look like a book. The problem was I didn't have anything to scrapbook. I told myself that I was going to take a gazillion photos of our kids when we had them. I was going to document everything for them. They were going to have their own personal library of books about their life, starring them. The scrapbooking didn't go anywhere for a couple years. Then December of 1999 Tyler was born. It was time to get busy. From minute one we were snapping photos. From that point scrapbooking was on. When I first started in 2000 there was very little to use for the scrapbooks. Creative Memories and Close to My Heart were the only companies that sold stuff. The stores were not wise yet to the scrapbooking empire that was in the near future. Scrapbooking was not as popular then as it is now. When I look at my earlier books they look so boring. I will not change them though. I think is shows how far I have come with my creativity and how far the scrapbooking world has come. Tyler loves to look at the books. I love to watch him look at them . He gets a big smile on his face as he turns the pages.






I finally decided to make myself a scrapbook room. I have always wanted one but we have never had the space in our other houses. It is such hassle to set it all up and then put it all away every time you want to scrapbook. August will be 3 years that we have been in this house. There are 5 bedrooms so why not a scrapbook room. I painted the room in March but went to work so it has just sat there. I have a couple more things I want to do in there but for the most part it is done!!!!! I am so excited to scrapbook in there. I went for a tropical look. Bright colors!! I am going to get one of those palm leaf looking ceiling fans to go in the room. I think it will finish it off nicely. Here are some of the pics. Look at the border in the room. It is ribbon. I used upholstery tacks to hold it up. I love how it turned out. The table was a $50 Craigslist find that I sanded down and painted. The tall wooden cabinet is one that Todd built in 2001 to hold our 25 inch 300 pound TV. It works perfect to hold my scrapbook stuff. The little white shelf is the first piece of new furniture that Todd and I bought together. That thing has been everywhere and now it is where it belongs.





2 comments:

OneHappyfamily said...

I like the theme of the room. The colors are great. I am so simple at this house, it almost looks like we are just moving in or just about to move out. I have no clutter. Not much laying on pieces of furniture, or much hanging on the walls. Looks like you are all set to host a scrapbooking party. Everything looks great!

Stacey said...

I love your scrapbook room! I actually had one here and then got pregnant and we needed another bedroom. Oh well, that's life and I would trade that little guy for all the scrapbook rooms in the world :o)

Have fun being creative!!